levi's travelblog

Since I´m going traveling for a pretty lengthy time, I decided to skip the group emails and instead write a weblog. Please go ahead and post replies if the spirit moves you, or send me an email. I can´t promise timely replies though as I probably won´t be spending much time on the internet. However, I can promise to try and keep the blog interesting and not too long!

Monday, February 14, 2005

a few photos from lotusland

The first stage of my trip is a few weeks in BC, visiting my parents in 100 Mile House and my sister and some friends in Vancouver and Victoria. I'll just post some photos from this part; although I imagine my entries will be more text-heavy once i'm in Guatemala.

View from the train window, between Edmonton and Jasper, on my way from Toronto to Clearwater, BC.

Me standing on the frozen Horse Lake, where my parents live.

Skiing on Horse Lake

More skiing on Horse Lake. OK enough of that, but the skiing really was great.

decorations for the graduation party my parents threw for me

My parents dancing - aren't they cute?

Skid trail on the woodlot.

My Dad walking with one of the loggers, on a site recently logged for beetle-attacked pine.

A feller-buncher - falls trees and bunches them into piles, very quickly. This machine does the work of probably 10 loggers, but on the upside its precise felling does less damage to retained trees in a selective cut than hand felling. In any case, it seems that the economic realities for a small woodlot operator who is hiring out the looging leave little choice in the matter.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe! Levi, The existence of this blog gives me hope that you made your flight even after I kept you up way too late the night before you left (ahem, watching live music....nothing naughty).

Looking forward to news from Guatemala - and it was verra cool seeing some pics of your parents and homestead...

recuerdo, pues...aqui estamos!

8:34 p.m.  
Blogger Tino said...

Thanks for bloggin.
however, there is no 'upside' to logging.

9:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice boots, levi! the pics are beautiful. i look forward to hearing more/seeing more about your journey.

10:25 p.m.  
Blogger Selam said...

Love the post Levi. And the pictures in particular. make sure you post a lot of pictures of Guatemala. (and Martino, I think he means the upside of using that machine versus actual people logging, not logging itself)

12:05 p.m.  
Blogger vonLevi said...

thanks for the comments guys, i love it. feel free to ask questions or challenge anything i say.

6:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Levi –

Glad to know you finally made it to Guatemala. Looking forward to hearing and seeing all your upcoming travel adventures.

8:15 p.m.  
Blogger Tino said...

Oh, no. Logging breaks my heart.
I have seen what it can do to in BC. Once on a logging road in the Walbran valley, I came upon a young deer looking across an entire valley that had been decimated by MacBlo. So sad.
Anyways, Levi. Have a great trip and
don't forget to dance.

8:51 p.m.  
Blogger Rosy said...

Levi~ your blog entries are so adorable. Such attention to detail, I love it! My advice as a once aimless traveller is to just try and enjoy the experience of everything you encounter and respect it for what it is as a visitor... thus saving your value judgements for when you look back in retrospect after the 3 months are up. We are after all, sheltered in our views & outlook on life here in Canada. I'm sure this will open you up to the fullness of experience even more than you already are. And further more- blah, blah, blah... apprendo mucho Espanol mi hermano premiero!!

9:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Levi,
Good to hear from you! I am glad you had a good time back home and I love this blogging thing, seems like some kind of passive experience of Guatemala through your journey.

Have a great trip - and keep writing - it helps your brain and senses stay fit in order to experince Guatemala. And such a joy for us backhere.

10:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home