levi's travelblog

Since I´m going traveling for a pretty lengthy time, I decided to skip the group emails and instead write a weblog. Please go ahead and post replies if the spirit moves you, or send me an email. I can´t promise timely replies though as I probably won´t be spending much time on the internet. However, I can promise to try and keep the blog interesting and not too long!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

arrival in Guatemala City

21 Febrero Arrived in Guatemala City and am finally scared, or excited I suppose. The airport here is small, and I got through customs quickly - not a question asked, just ´hola´ and ´bueno´ when I handed over my passport and form. Much more pleasant than US customs, who took away my apple and orange in Vancouver. Was picked up and taken about 2 min. to the small Hotel Dos Lunas where I spent the night. It´s a beautiful, clean, little hotel inside a veritably fortified high wall with razor wire. For US$40, I got transportation to the airport, a night´s stay, a ride to the bus station the next day, a first-class bus ticket to Xela, and someone from La Escuala Español Juan Sisay to pick me up from there and take me to the family I´m staying. So I´ve been more coddled than would be my usual liking, but I think it´s good because I have no idea what to do here, and any Spanish I thought I knew is gone when I try to actually use it. Most rooms at Dos Lunas are different pastel colours; my room has pink stucko walls, or perhaps peach. It´s 20C outside, and my window is open. The planes pass almost directly overhead, but the rest of the time at night all I hear is occasional traffic, crickets, and a strange occasional beeping sound. To bed early tonight, after reading a little more of I... Rigoberta Menchu - An Indian Woman in Guatemala. 22 febrero - Guatemala City to Xela Most other houses and businesses I see have high protective walls and often razor wire. Traffic is heavy and chaotic. As contrary as it is to my usual habits, I´m glad to get a ride to the bus station. On the drive we saw a herd of about 12 goats, unleashed, walking cooperatively along the sidewalk and crosswalk. The driver said you can buy a cup of warm milk, squeezed as you wait. The city is very heavily advertised for cars, electronics, weight loss, and other familiar things. Perhaps I didn´t give it a chance, but I´m glad to be moving right along to Xela. The ´first-class´ bus cost Q37, about CDN$6 for the 4 1/2h, 200km trip to Xela. The bus looks like an 80´s Greyhound bus, with a cracked-up right-hand windshield and springs protruding through my seat cushion. A policeman with a short-barrel, pump- During the trip, I observe examples of what appear to me as obvious highway class discrimination. There are many police enforcement traps along the highway. We pass one where a group of police are ticketing a group of indians* who are packed into the back of a small pickup. Someone translates for me that the bus driver´s assistant explained something like "they´re not allowed to ride like that." Which, if true, means the police were ostensibly "protecting" them from themselves. Which reminds me a bit of the premise of bicycle helmet laws, but don´t get me started on that. Anyways, a bit later, our driver passes a vehicle around a blind corner, honking to warn any unfortunate souls around the corner of the impending danger, while his assistant waves to the passed vehicle to slow down. He does this many times on the trip, but this time there is a police trap which waves us over. The driver and assistant get out, and after a couple minutes of bargaining we are on our way again. He continues passing around blind corners. A perhaps more subtle unfairness along this highway, to my mind at least, is the obvious danger to those bicycling or walking with heavy loads along its narrow shoulders or in its litter-filled concrete ditch where such existed. At least, none of this is as bad what occured during the civil war, as I´m reading about from Rigoberta Menchu. The volcanoes en route look like the perfect triangular mountains I drew as a kid. The layered agrigulture adds beautiful striated texture to the arid hillsides. The highway is rough, dusty, windy, hilly, and with some steep dropoffs next to the road. Highly scenic. I´m having some technical difficulties transferring photos onto a computer, but will post some good ones when I can. Descriptions of the family I´m staying with, the Juan Sisay school (www.juansisay.com), Xela, and the food here will follow. Unfortunately I´m finding I just don´t have enough time both to do all I want to here and to write about it. Last night I was asleep by 10:30pm, up at 6am, and will likely continue similarly. Off for dinner then homework now. *I´m not sure yet what the correct term is to use, but for now will go with the term Indians, used in the book I´m reading "I... Rigoberta Menchu."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting Levi, and very scenic. Pretty exciting compared to my trip to the grocery store today!

3:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(anonymous = Lenore having trouble using the blog!)

3:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see there is lots of opportunity for fun here Levi. There for you as well.

Thanks for including all of us!

Dad

5:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey levi, great entries. reminds me of my own experiences... I'm not entirely sure of the appropriate term for Indigenous people in Guatemala, but it seemed to me that "Indigenous" was the term I heard the most from the people who would know -- indigena in Spanish. your observations of the highway etiquette reminded me of what I found the most difficult about being in Guatemala, which was the number of stray and starving dogs on the streets. Although they were incredibly savvy about dodging traffic, there were bound to be fatalities. Anyway, glad to read of your journeys, and keep the updates coming!

11:27 p.m.  
Blogger Rosy said...

Thanks' for sharing the experience about the Indigenous people Levi! Now that I have arrived safely to Melourne, it reminds me what a relevant (and in many ways oppressed) part of the local culture & history of Australia these people make up. It gives me a little reminder of how much I would like to learn about the history and rights of Aboriginees here, although it is too easy to ignore when surrounded by the fellow white man (and far more recent) Aussie settlers.
-Rosy

6:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home