levi's travelblog

Since I´m going traveling for a pretty lengthy time, I decided to skip the group emails and instead write a weblog. Please go ahead and post replies if the spirit moves you, or send me an email. I can´t promise timely replies though as I probably won´t be spending much time on the internet. However, I can promise to try and keep the blog interesting and not too long!

Sunday, May 15, 2005

weekend trip to Xela

It seems like every time I go somewhere by bus, something interesting happens. This time I got robbed, twice. The first was really not a big deal - the ayudante charged my 2 fares from Itzapa to Chimal, Q3 instead of Q1.50. He said the other fare was for my backpack which I had brought on the bus since it was less than half-full. It annoyed me more than it should have, perhaps because I felt treated like a tourist again, somewhere I feel like is my home for the time being. A woman I got off the bus with consoled me, agreeing when I referred to the ayudante as a "ladrón" - thief. Then I got on the bus for Xela, and 5 minutes into the trip, when the ayudante asked for my fare, I realized that my wallet was gone from my back pocket. After almost 3 months of having no problems, I guess I got a little careless and left my wallet in a very easy to take position on a very crowded bus where I couldn't distinguish between someone bumping into me and someone relieving me of my wallet. I had, however, taken the precautions of having nothing but cash in my wallet, and having enough extra cash stored in my backpack to last me the weekend and return trip back to Itzapa. Strangely, although I lost Q200 with my wallet, it hardly bothered me at all. Partly because, looking on the bright side, I could now I could get a nice new vegan wallet and that the thief had spared me waiting another 5 years til my old leather one was completely composted. Also, the guy sitting next to me immediately offered to pay my fare to Xela, although I told him I had enough money in my backpack on the roof. A kind deed can sure take the bite out of an unfortunate occurence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home