levi's travelblog

Since I´m going traveling for a pretty lengthy time, I decided to skip the group emails and instead write a weblog. Please go ahead and post replies if the spirit moves you, or send me an email. I can´t promise timely replies though as I probably won´t be spending much time on the internet. However, I can promise to try and keep the blog interesting and not too long!

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My response to an irate motorist. ***oops, corrected version***

(I had some cutting and pasting issues originally, and some paragraphs were duplicated) On 11/8/05, ***name cut to protect the, er, innocent*** wrote:
In over 25 years of driving, I can count on less than both hands, the number of times, I have seen cyclists stop at red lights. But, I have lost count of the number of times I have been inconsiderately and thoughtlessly cut off, hit and intimidated, while walking, by cyclists blasting down a sidewalk, a path. They are always careening through intersections, sliding between lanes, without signalling, up and down sidewalks, regardless of pedestrian traffic. Cyclists generally display a flippant arrogance for basic road safety, driving rules, and thoughtlessness for the safety of the public that surrounds them. EDUCATE CYCLISTS and hold them RESPONSIBLE and ACCOUNTABLE for going through red lights, making illegal turns, and negligent riding-Maybe then, cyclists will have the respect they are demanding.


Dear Denise,

I am sorry that you have such a negative view of cyclists. It may interest you to read the city of Toronto's 2003 report on bicycle - motor vehicle collisions. Interestingly, "cyclist failing to yield at intersection" accounts for less than 3% of all bicycle - motor vehicle collisions, while the 7 main accident types which account for 72% of all collisions and are the only ones which individually account for more than 3% of all accidents, are ones where the driver is partially or entirely at fault (these are: drive out at controlled interesection, motorist overtaking, motorist opens vehicle door, motorist left turn - facing cyclists, motorist right turn (not at red light), motorist right turn at red light, drive out from lane or driveway).

This corresponds with the experience of many cyclists, that our roads and rules were designed for smooth flow of automobile traffic with little to no consideration cyclists. Pedestrians, although still marginalized against cars, at least have sidewalks in most areas. There is no comparable study of cyclist - pedestrian collisions, because although I am sorry you have had some frightening experiences, the danger pedestrians face from cyclists pales in comparison to the danger both pedestrians and cyclists face from cars.

When the infrastructure is illogical and dangerous for a whole class of road users, why should one expect them to have arbitrary respect for aspects of it that do not even help anyone\'s safety? (remember the less than 3% statistic) When our infrastructure has been modernized to account for the safety and convenience of cyclists as much as it now accounts for that of motorists, you can expect to see cyclists fitting within the system better. One analogy that may help a driver to understand is this: if the government were to put stop signs every 100 metres along highway 401 to make it safer for cyclists, how many motorists do you think would obey? None. I assure you, cyclists are not "meaner" or more "reckless" than an average segment of the population.

Cyclists, unlike motorists, are vulnurable and a small minority of road users. Like other vulnurable and minority groups, it is tempting to consistently blame the victims and occasionaly blame the motorist for violence against those victims. Although this allows one to focus on the individual and blithely ignore the systemic problems, it unfortunately does nothing to actually reduce the death, suffering or inequality. You may not realize that cars and trucks kill several cyclists and injure thousands more in Toronto each year. If despite the statistics you still think this is all the fault of the cyclists, then you should try getting around by bike for a while, using all of the skills and knowledge of traffic rules you\'ve learned while driving, and feel perfectly safe.

Finally, I find the assertion remarkable that if cyclists would only obey all the rules of the road, we would achieve respect. I experience disrespect as a cyclist almost every day, but it invariably occurs not when I am breaking a law but when I am inconveniencing motorists: when "taking the lane," a legal manoevre required when there is inadequate space to share a lane, when cars are parked in the bike lane, or when a driver is inattentive (which is extremely dangerous and disrespectful, but not exactly illegal).

In closing, however, I only request that you drive safely and attentively. A car is a deadly weapon, and should be treated as such, every time.

Sincerely,
Levi Waldron
Advocacy for Respect for Cyclists

6 Comments:

Blogger vonLevi said...

Here was the reply. I don't think I got through...

And, it sounds like you are clearly one of those cyclists who blasti through your day only concerned with YOUR right of way-thoughtless, inconsiderate and blind to those surrounding, yielding, and dodging to you and out of your way. I know what my experience is and what I witness everyday regardless of some "stats" sourced by the "city of Toronto or your very biased opinion. P.S> Do you stop at every red light and signal before you turn, looking both ways before proceeding, while cycling? I do. And, most cyclists do not.

3:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might not have gotten through, but you likely planted a seed. She sounds like nothing could get through to her, so don't take it personally (if you were at all). I thought your letter was great, if a little heavy on the numbers. (I get lost in numbers...) You're a good writer, Levi!

p.s. I think she's got some pretty big issues managing anger...

2:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the above post was by me, Lauren!

2:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a possible case of "Everyone was right from their own point of view." -Kurt Vonnegut

I thought there were lots of good points being made.

Cheers, Dad

7:55 a.m.  
Blogger Selam said...

you just threw some pearls to swine

7:54 p.m.  
Blogger vonLevi said...

Selam, let's not bring swine into the fray. I've never been insulted by a pig. I understand what you're saying though, that I put a lot of time into responding thoughtfully to an unthoughtful rant. To that I agree, and if my response were only for her, I wouldn't have bothered.

10:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home