levi's travelblog

Since I´m going traveling for a pretty lengthy time, I decided to skip the group emails and instead write a weblog. Please go ahead and post replies if the spirit moves you, or send me an email. I can´t promise timely replies though as I probably won´t be spending much time on the internet. However, I can promise to try and keep the blog interesting and not too long!

Sunday, October 09, 2005

flooding in San Andrés Itzapa, Guatemala

photo credit: Elizabeth, English teacher and friend of mine still working in San Andrés Itzapa. This is just down the hill from where I stayed for my month in Itzapa.

You may or may not have heard yet about Hurricane Stan, which hit Mexico and central America pretty hard this last week. In the little town of San Andrés Itzapa Guatemala, where I spent a month earlier this year, a lot of homes were destroyed by flooding and the municipal water and electricity were badly damaged. See, for example:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1195876

Since I still know a number of people in Itzapa and a good chunk of my heart is still there, I'm going to do a small-scale, informal relief effort. I just want to funnel some money to a couple Itzapa residents who I consider to be very trustworthy to buy food, clothing, water etc. for people who need it. There will be zero overhead and it will directly benefit very poor indigenous people who have just lost everything they have. Also, anything we send has an equivalent value of about 10 times more than what it's worth here, so even a little bit is significant. If you want to help out, please let me know soon for how much, then I'll cover it for now until you have a chance to get the money to me, because I want to get the money there quickly. If you'd rather go through more formal means that might go to areas where help is even more badly needed, and get a tax deduction, I might recommend Rights Action in Canada and the U.S. or Rainbow World Fund in the U.S. One advantage to going through me will be that I will be able to let you know exactly to what and to whom the money goes to. I was going to write a section on the importance of the transfer of wealth from rich to poor countries in the context of sustainable development in its original meaning (not the many perversions which have been adopted since), but in the interest of expedience I'm going to send this as-is with my stated opinion that such equalization is essential to environmental sustainability in the broad sense.

1 Comments:

Blogger vonLevi said...

Thank you everyone for such a quick and generous response. I've sent the first $200 down to Itzapa and will keep sending it in chunks as I receive it, around $800 in total. I'll keep you updated here as to how it's being spent.

9:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home